Contacts / Connections
Communities / Discussions
Library / Resources
General | Top
Q: How do I log in to EDUCAUSE Connect?
A: You can log in to EDUCAUSE Connect by selecting the “Sign In” button at the top of the platform. You will need an EDUCAUSE Profile to log in and use all of the platform’s features. Anyone can create an EDUCAUSE Profile and use EDUCAUSE Connect, regardless of membership status with EDUCAUSE. Your login credentials for EDUCAUSE Connect are the same username and password as your EDUCAUSE Profile. If you forgot your login credentials, you can reset them here. If you need assistance, please contact us.
Don’t have an EDUCAUSE Profile? Create a profile today. Please allow up to two business days for your profile to be activated.
Q: Can I log in using EDUCAUSE single sign-on (SSO)?
A: Yes, you can log in using EDUCAUSE or InCommon Federation login. Please visit EDUCAUSE SSO Login Help for more information.
Q: How do I update my contact information?
A: On your EDUCAUSE Connect profile page, please select the pencil icon next to "Edit My Profile.” You will be sent to the EDUCAUSE Account Management System (AMS) that allows you to update your contact, social links, and job information. Please note: it may take up to 30 minutes for the changes to go into effect.
Q: How do I control what information is visible from my profile?
A: Please navigate to your EDUCAUSE Connect profile, then select the "My Account" tab and choose "Privacy Settings" from the drop-down menu. This will let you control what information is visible to whom. After you’ve made your selections, click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
Q: Is there a mobile app for EDUCAUSE Connect?
A: The EDUCAUSE Connect website runs on the Bootstrap framework and is mobile responsive. A mobile application that is separate from the website is not supported at this time.
Accessibility | Top
Q: I have accessibility needs. What should I know?
A: Similar to our previous email list system, you can communicate and collaborate with other community group subscribers via email without having to log in to the EDUCAUSE Connect platform. You will need an EDUCAUSE Profile and to be subscribed to the community group you’re interested in to send and receive communications via email.
There are known improvements related to the accessibility of EDUCAUSE Connect, and we are committed to making the platform more accessible. To do so, we are working closely with Higher Logic, the EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Community Group, and other partners.
Also, in advance of our launch, EDUCAUSE has engaged an IT accessibility consultant to conduct an audit of critical user pathways for us to work with Higher Logic to prioritize remediation steps.
We know we won't be able to fix all issues overnight, but we are committed to this work and will keep at it. To report any potential issues or to request an accommodation to access this service and other EDUCAUSE resources, please contact us at email@example.com or call (303) 449-4430.
Contacts / Connections | Top
Q: How do I find other members?
A: Click the "Directory” link found in the main navigation bar. The Directory lets you search for other users based on:
- First and/or last name
- Company/institution name
- Community type
- Community name
- Email address
Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?
A: If you are an EDUCAUSE member, you can use EDUCAUSE Connect to add other users who have granted you the permission to add them to your “My Contact” list. There are several ways to add contacts to your contact list. When you perform a search in the EDUCAUSE Connect Directory—if the user’s privacy settings allows—you will see an “Add as Contact” button to the right of each person listed in your search results. Just click this button to send a contact request. If you click through and view an individual’s profile, you can click the "Add as Contact" button to the right of his or her profile picture.
Q: Why should I add contacts to my contact list?
A: Creating this virtual address book makes it easy to send your contacts messages through the community site to stay in touch, ask questions, or even build a referral network. Additionally, when you view another member’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common. You can also choose to let your contacts view certain demographics in your profile that others can't.
Q: How can I manage my contact request email preferences?
A: Navigate to your EDUCAUSE Connect profile and click on the “My Account” tab. From there, select “Email Preferences.” Toggle the Yes/No button within the “Participation Emails” section to control your email preferences for one-to-one interactions like contact requests.
Communities / Discussions | Top
Q: What are communities?
A: Communities (or EDUCAUSE Community Groups) are virtual groups, led by EDUCAUSE members, where you can find and share ideas, ask your peers questions, and share resources with other members.
Q: How do I join/subscribe to a community and the affiliated discussion group?
A: To join a community, you will need to log in to EDUCAUSE Connect via your EDUCAUSE Profile. Don’t have a profile? Create an account and navigate back to your community of interest once your profile has been confirmed. Please allow up to two business days for your profile to be activated.
Once you’ve logged into EDUCAUSE Connect, select “Community Groups” in the main navigation, then click “Explore Communities.” Filter by “Communities I Can Join” to view a list of available groups. Click on the community that you wish to join and choose the "Join" option, then choose how you would like to receive messages from the group (Real Time, Daily Digest, or No Email).
Q: How can I find the communities I belong to?
A: There are several ways you can find the communities you belong to. One option is to:
- Log in to the platform
- Select “Community Groups” in the main navigation bar
- Click “My Communities”
From there, you’ll find a curated list of all of the community groups you are a member of.
Q: How can I control the frequency and format of emails I receive?
A: Navigate to your EDUCAUSE Connect profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. On that page, you can view and control your subscription options.
For each community discussion, you have the following delivery options:
- Real Time: sends an email every time a new message is posted.
- Daily Digest: sends one email to you each day, consolidating all of the posts from the previous day.
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site.
Be sure to add @ConnectedCommunity.org to your safe senders list, so email communications from the platform reach your inbox.
Q: I’ve changed my community email notifications to daily digest. Why am I still receiving real time notifications?
A: If your Participation Emails are turned on, you will still receive real time email notifications of replies any time you start a thread or reply to a discussion. You can turn these types of email notifications off by toggling the Yes/No option related to Participation Emails under your EDUCAUSE Connect Email Preferences or by “unfollowing” the thread. To unfollow a thread:
- Visit the “Following Content” page in your EDUCAUSE Connect Profile
- Turn following off for the desired thread
Q: How do I leave a community or unsubscribe from a discussion?
A: Navigate to the community you would like to leave or no longer receive community discussion notifications from. Click the "Settings" button next to the community title in the header image, then:
If you don’t see the option to leave a community, please contact us.
- Under “Status,” click the "Leave Community" link to remove yourself from the community.
- Under “Email Notifications,” change your notification preference to “No Email” to no longer receive discussion notifications (from either “Real Time” or “Daily Digest”).
Q: How do I respond to others’ posts on the platform?
A: To respond to a discussion post online through the platform, navigate to the discussion post and click “Reply" to send your message to the entire community. To send a message to the author of the post only, select “Reply Privately” (located in the "Reply" drop-down). We recommend replying privately for simple comments like “me, too” that add little value to the overall discussion; and replying to the entire community when you are sharing knowledge, experience, or resources that others could benefit from.
Q: How do I start a new discussion thread on the platform?
A: From the community group’s landing page, click on the “Discussion” tab, and then use the red “Post to this Discussion” button to start a new thread. Alternatively, you can go to "Discussions," click the red "Add" button, then select the community for which you would like to post. Each community also has a unique email address. Save it to your address book and easily start a new post like you would via regular email.
Q: Can I search for posts across all the communities?
A: As long as you have the permission to view, then yes. Enter a keyword in the search bar located in the EDUCAUSE Connect main navigation. To refine your search results, select one or more facets from the menu on the left side.
Q: How do I see a listing of all of the posts to a specific community?
A: Locate the community you are interested in viewing from the appropriate communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Discussions” tab. If you see a post you’re interested in, click the subject line which will take you to the entire thread.
Q: How can I have an email notification sent to a different email address from the one tied to my EDUCAUSE Profile?
A: Navigate to your EDUCAUSE Connect profile
and click on the “My Account” tab. Choose “Community Notifications” from the drop-down menu. On that page, click on “add override addresses.” Here you can add an override email address and select which community discussions you want to assign to that email address.
Q: How can I filter emails received from EDUCAUSE Connect in my email client?
To more easily organize and find the emails you receive from the EDUCAUSE Connect platform, you can use either the “Reply-To” or “List-ID” email header to create a mail rule. For a step-by-step guide for creating a mail rule based on the “Reply-To” email header (for both Windows and Mac),
click here for a guide to creating a mail rule based on the "Reply-To" email header.
How to Create a Mail Rule
- Find an email in your inbox that came from a community group that you are subscribed to (e.g. CIO).
- Click the “Reply” button in your email client (not the “Reply to Group” button/link embedded in the email itself).
- In the reply email, copy the “To:” field.
- Mac clients—to create a new mail rule:
- From the “Home” tab of Outlook (or “Message,” if using New Outlook), click “Rules” >> “Create Rule.”
- Clear out any existing criteria, then choose “Header,” and add the email address that you copied from step three above.
- From here, you can choose whatever action you wish to take (moving to a folder, forwarding, etc.) Click “OK” to save the rule to the server.
- Windows clients—to create a new mail rule:
- Click “File” >> “Manage Rules & Alerts.”
- Click “New Rule” at the top left of the “Rules and Alerts” window.
- In the “Conditions” step, click the checkbox for “with specific words in the message header”.
- In the next step, click the link “specific words.”
- In the textbox, add the email address you copied from step three above (EDUCAUSE-cio@ConnectedCommunity.org in this example) then click “Add” >> “OK.”
- Click “Next,” then choose what action you want to take for the rule. In this example, we chose to move to a specified folder and selected the "CIO" folder at the bottom. Click “Next.”
- In the final step, you can give the rule a name. Ensure the checkbox for “Turn on this rule” is enabled, then click “Finish.”
- Once complete, the rule will show at the top of all other rules in your list. Click “Apply” >> “OK” to finish.
Libraries / Resources | Top
Q: How do I find resources that may have been uploaded by other members?
A: If you know which library the resource is located in, find the affiliated community group via the "My Communities" page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Library” tab. If you don't know where the resource is located, enter search terms in the search bar at the top of the platform the same way you might enter search terms into a search engine.
Q: How do the libraries get populated?
A: Community libraries are populated in two ways:
- When you include an attachment in a discussion post, the system automatically places it in the affiliated library.
- Direct uploads using the "Create Entry" button on any community's library page. Library resources are not required to be associated with a discussion thread.
Q: How do I upload a file?
A: From your community group's landing page, select the “Library” tab, then "Create Entry." Please note that uploading a document is accomplished by completing a few steps and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next:
- Choose a title for your document and include a description (optional). Select the library and folder to which you’d like to upload (optional). Then, choose an “Entry Type” (most will be Standard Files, but be cognizant of any copyright licensed material). Once you have completed these steps, click “Next.”
- Upload your file.
- Select “Next” if you want to further describe your files. Otherwise, click “Finish” to post your library entry.
Q: What kind of files can I upload?
A: The system supports dozens of file types including hyperlinks, standard files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), webinars, images, and YouTube videos.
Q: What are “hashtags” for?
A: Hashtags are a great way to organize and categorize content on your site. Tagged items are prioritized in the search results. All EDUCAUSE Connect users can define and tag their content. Hashtags can be applied to blogs, library entries, events, and glossary terms.
Q: How do I add hashtags to my post?
- In the body of content (e.g., blog article, discussion post, library entry, etc.), initiate the tagging process by typing "#" and then start typing the desired keyword(s). As you type, a list of existing, suggested hashtags will appear (if any exist). These can be formal hashtags your organization has defined or previously created user hashtags.
- Select a suggested hashtag or continue typing to create your own.
- After selecting or creating your own hashtag, it will become a hyperlink users can click to view all content associated with it. As more and more content is tagged with the same hashtag(s), it will become easier and easier to find, with more and more associated content.